Complaints

Written by Zelda

 

 

                She tapped away at the keyboard with a near sense of urgency. Inspiration had been kind, and she intended to make full use of it. How often did she get ideas like this anyway? The poor team was really in for it this time. As she sat back for a moment to collect her thoughts, she reveled in the nature of her story. Yup, she was one sadistic, sympathy-driven writer alright. Slowly, she became aware of a voice from somewhere around her, and she frowned slightly to focus better.

                “Hello?!” it repeated. “Are you listening to me? Yeesh girl, you’re impossible.”

                She couldn’t help but smile back. Complaints?

                “Fssh, yeah I got complaints!” Nosedive whined. “Look at this, look!!! You buried me under a building! That is so not cool.”

                Sorry, heh. But I had my character down there the whole way too, that’s not entirely unfair.

                “Yeah, well, she hogs the spotlight anyway.” Nosedive snorted, only half sarcastic.

                Well, try to understand kiddo. She is mine, after all. Without me she wouldn’t exist. She needs you to exist too. You know that. Look at how she’s grown with you.

                “Yeah yeah, I know, don’t go laying the guilt on me.” he sighed. “But you’re missing my point, look at what you’re doin’ out there! Makin’ my bro a hair short of a nervous breakdown? Hittin’ Duke up with his own nightmares? What about the eye patch story you gave him, huh? And Grin’s a telepath now? How did that happen?”

                Yeah, I know, he really isn’t, and neither is Zelda. I screwed up somewhere along the way with that, I’m trying to climb my way out of that hole. And with Duke too, he needed something at that part! I couldn’t just end it there and then. You know what a stickler I am for continuity, kid, but some things went unsaid. How long have you guys been knocking about with me, hm? Since the very first day I saw you. That’s special stuff Dive, I’m not about to take that sorta thing for granted and go completely off-story.

                “Oh yeah?” he retorted. “Then why make us so different? Where’s the corny dialog, the weird out of place references, and for Puckworld’s sake why am I not funny anymore?! I wanna joke with the audience!”

                Readers, Dive, not an audience. And you’re lucky to have either at this stage. Go easy on me kid, I’m not perfect, and I can’t write humor! It’s not my fault you guys were built this way. My kinda stuff is in every one of you and you know it. Besides, you had to grow up some time. If only things could have stayed so light and short, if only the world was simple enough so that the good guys could always win in thirty minutes, minus commercials.  That’s what you get for this medium and these readers Dive, that’s what you get from me. Maybe you’re right, maybe all of this is a little screwed up. But you helped!

                “Me?! Heck no, I didn’t do anything!”

                Heh, language Nosedive! See, I told you that you’re not TV-Y7 anymore! Of course you helped. Anything that stays with you for so long shapes and influences you. It has for me. I think it’s a balancing of both worlds, yin and yang.

                “You’re sounding like Grin now.” Nosedive muttered.

                At least I’m sticking to the character! You see, I was right! I’m sorry Dive, you know how the whole interpretation thing goes. I’m not gonna churn out the original, much as I wish I could. But maybe there’s something good that comes from it anyway. I’d like to think so, wouldn’t you?

                “Yeah, well, whatever. At least it gives me a workout. Just don’t go killin’ us off okay?”

                Heaven forbid! Don’t you worry kiddo, in the end me and my own little creations really aren’t that different on the inside. I promise not to beat you up too much. I owe you, after all!

                “What a comfort.”

                You’ll have to deal, kid. She cracked her knuckles and grinned, raising her fingers to the keyboard. And I have a feeling that you’ll let me find you a way…

 

 

The End

 

Mighty Ducks-The Animated Series, including all logos and characters (except mine) are copyright and property of Disney. You may copy, print, or whatever with this document, so long as it is not altered and I (Zelda) am credited. Thanks!