The Second Period

Written by Zelda

 

                Wildwing flopped down on the bench, and took his glove and blocker off. Outside, he could still hear the crowd roaring from the surprise of him leaving the ice before the second period was over. Zelda quickly bounced up beside him, shutting the door as she came in.

                "Wing? What's wrong?" she whined softly. Wildwing bent over slowly and held his head in his hands.

                "Aww Zelda, I feel really sick." he moaned slowly, gripping his stomach.

                "Well, how so?" Zelda asked.

                "My head hurts and I'm thirsty... and I feel like I'm gonna throw up." he said.

                "Oh, now you probably have dehydration sickness!" Zelda said, patting him on the shoulder. "Wait right here and relax kiddo." she said, leaping down. She picked up a green Gatorade bottle and filled it with fresh cold water, capping it and handing it to Wing. "There now, try and relax." she soothed, as he drank. "The period will be over in a few seconds anyway." And a few seconds later, the horn rang to signal the end of the period, followed by the roar of the fans. The Ducks still held the lead on Edmonton ice. The rest of the team tramped into the locker room.

                "You okay Wing?" Nosedive asked, sitting down next to his brother. The team looked up as if to ask the same question.

                "Yeah yeah, I just got tired. I'll be fine." he responded quickly. Mallory took off her skate and most of the padding on her leg, rolling up the pant cuff and starting to wrap her thigh with a tan Ace bandage.

                "What about you Mal?" Tanya asked.

                "Yeah, you took a hard hit. That thigh muscle giving you any trouble?" Duke asked.

                "I can skate on it, no problem." Mal smiled, and waved it off.

                "All of you sit back for a while." Zelda eased as they all settled down. "We've got a full ten minutes to rest."

                "You mean YOU'VE got ten full minutes." Duke said, getting up. "I'm scheduled for an interview. Be right back!" he called, closing the door behind him.                    

                "Okay, let's have a look at our situation." Zelda started. "We have the lead, and we're not going to lose it."

                "I would hope." Grin added. "That we've learned our lesson in our last game." The team took a moment to reflect on just what that last game was. A loss of both a game and the snapping of their proud 12-game winning streak, just two nights beforehand in Colorado.

                "Yes, road trips are hard." continued Zelda. "But you guys are real troopers. Don't underestimate yourselves, but be careful not to do the same to the enemy." The team nodded. Duke re-entered the room. "Reporters." he muttered to himself, sitting down again. The throbbing pulse of the music from the jumbo-tron rocked the stadium, but was muffled through the cinder block walls of the locker room. Slowly, Wildwing stood up, propping himself up on his goalie stick.

                "I'm going to get an ice pack. You want one Mal?" he asked.

                "Sure." Mallory shrugged.

                "I'll get it Wing." Zelda protested. "You can sit down if you want..."

                "Nahh, I can handle it." he smiled, closing the door behind him. Zelda turned away slowly, grinning.

                "He read my mind." she smiled, sitting in front of the team.

                "Pep talk." grinned Nosedive, nudging Tanya.                             

                "Come on Zelda, give us the low-down." Mallory said.

                "Well, Wing's got dehydration sickness." Zelda started. "He's feeling a little...well, under the weather to say the least. It's my guess he'll insist on continuing play, but he needs to rest. "

                "Ahh, now there's another disadvantage to having no bench replacements." Mallory said.

                "So, if you guys can give him some help, I recommend it so. Keep the puck out of the zone, let up on him for a while. He'll let you know when he's ready to play again. Watch out for Mal too." Mallory snorted in protest. "Oh come now, we have to keep ourselves tight. If the Oilers let on to the fact that we've got injured on the ice, you and I both know the first places they'll hit. Keep it clean and we'll do fine." Zelda smiled back. The door creaked open.

                "Understood." Grin smiled, as Wildwing walked in slowly. He threw an ice pack to Mallory, and then flopped back down on the bench, putting the other ice pack on his head.

                "Rest up guys." Zelda warned. "We've got five minutes."

 

The End

 

Mighty Ducks-The Animated Series, including all logos and characters (except mine) are copyright and property of Disney. You may copy, print, or whatever with this document, so long as it is not altered and I (Zelda) am credited. Thanks!