Of Pain and Decision, part 2

Written by Zelda

 

 

                The team plodded farther and farther uphill. They could tell the sun was rising higher, but they had vanished long ago into a deep fog that cloaked the top of the mountain, so they couldn't see it. Wildwing had the lead as usual, and he climbed with full awareness of what the situation at hand was. Truth be known, Zelda was having a miserable time. She hung doggedly over Grin's shoulder and had her eyes closed, although she wasn't sleeping. Slowly as they walked, she raised her head and sniffed the air.

                "Stop." she said slowly. The team slowly came to a halt and turned around, looking at her in question.

                "Here, set me down." she ordered.

                "Zelda...I." Wildwing started.

                "Go on." she said to Grin. Grin picked her up gingerly and placed her on the ground so that she stood up. After Grin's supportive hand fell away, Zelda stumbled weakly forth, dragging her wounded arm. She staggered a few feet to a clear spot in the path, then kneeled on her one good front limb and spread her shivering wings.

                "Great Father of the gods so smell you, I." she muttered slowly. "Call you forth, I. And we, mortals who have braved many perils to reach your treasured sanctuary." Wildwing frowned. There was plenty about this planet he didn't understand and Zelda would never be able to explain. He knew to trust her when it came to stuff like this. As the team looked around nervously, a face began to form in the clouds, with a long flowing white beard and pitch black eyes.

                "Who disturbs my slumber?" the voice boomed, lightning streaking though his white hair.

                "Maybe we should go now." Tanya muttered nervously. Zelda struggled up and turned to face the clouds.

                "Zeus, o great Father of the gods, we have come to seek your help and forgiveness." The clouds rumbled.

                "You are injured, dragoness." the figure said sternly.

                "The work of your underling, the goddess Sheeva." Zelda replied as kindly as she could. The clouds rumbled and flashed again. There was a noisy pause. "We have another one in her grasp." Zelda ventured slowly. "He will die if she cannot be reasoned with."

                "As will you." Zeus interrupted. The team stepped back. Zelda sighed.

                "Perhaps." She said slowly.

                "You will." Zeus corrected. "Unless I turn it about. You are the first mortals to venture up our sacred Mount Olympus and reach such a level of interference with us."

                "Our greatest apologies if we have done something to offend..." Zelda started.

                "Silence!" the cloud boomed. Zelda staggered back and sat weakly. "However, you are strange mortals. It has been a long time since the last have spoken my name with such respect. Therefore go forth. I will aide thee and guide your way, but no more favors will I grant you today." Suddenly, a sizzling yellow bolt of lightning whizzed about the clouds and swirled about Zelda. It retracted soundlessly, and Zelda found her wounds healed and strength returned at full. She immediately bowed to the retreating cloud form.

                "A deep humility and respect owed to you for the favor granted, Father of the gods." she said. The cloud faded away with no response. Zelda stepped back and thoroughly shook herself.

                "Sheesh." she muttered.

                "Are you okay?" Grin asked, confused.

                "Couldn't be better. Now you know why the ancients respected these gods so." she replied.

                "I'll say." Mallory breathed, looking at the clouds. Suddenly, a great yellow streak shot through the mist. Leaving a trail of shimmering golden droplets, it landed on a small cliff far uphill.

                "That's where the cave to the temple is." Zelda said.

                "Then we have no time to lose." Duke agreed. With a quickened pace, they scrambled up the hill again, growing closer and closer to the cave with every step.

 

                 Nosedive dodged 3 more arrows as they whizzed by him. He yelped as the 2 centaurs charged towards him again. Nosedive leapt on ones back and wrapped an arm around its neck, twisting it so the shocked centaur jolted forward and follows Nosedive's commands. The other centaur turned and started to charge to Nosedive and the centaur. Nosedive leapt off as the 2 centaurs collided and fell limply to the ground.

        "Way too close....." Nosedive breathed. Sheeva appeared before him.

        "Well done mortal....now for my fun...." she hissed pleasantly. Nosedive backed away.

        "Ohhhhh no. You ain't harmin' one feather on this duck." Nosedive growled. Sheeva just smirked raised her hands and Nosedive cried out in pain. He clutched his stomach and groaned loudly, kneeling on the floor. Sheeva stopped and wanted to try something new.

        

                Gretchen groaned but kept climbing towards the temple. She was getting way too tired. She stared at Zelda in admiration. How could she just keep going? Gretchen thought to herself. Zelda turned back to her and smiled.

        "Ya sure got a lot of strength kiddo." Zelda grinned.

        "Hey, I didn't get zapped by that ray for nothin' (In Gretchen's first story. It gave her super strength)" Gretchen replied, continuing to climb. Keeping a wary eye out for centaurs, the team looked up from their climbing to realize that they were almost near the cave. They could see it, a gaping black hole in the white stone. The golden streak faded. They were at the cave entrance.

                "Many thanks, Zeus." Zelda muttered under her breath.

                "Okay team, are we ready for this?" Wildwing asked, loading his launcher.

                "Affirmative here." Mallory said, shouldering her weapon. Zelda stood in front of Gretchen to keep her from destroying all of the guns.

                "Good, let's go." said Wildwing, and they all charged into the cave.

 

                An arrow darted inches from Zelda's snout.

                "Back again?" a shrill voice sang. More arrows. The Ducks could hear the clattering of centaur hooves.        

                "Get to Nosedive!" Wildwing yelled, as he raised his shield.

                "Go on you guys, we'll cover for you!" Mallory said, gesturing to her and Wing. She waited until Gretchen was out of sight, then took out her launcher and set it up. As the five charged forwards, the two could see the centaurs. They raised their launchers and shot.

 

                Duke snarled and ducked as a puck whizzed over his head. It sped forwards and made the centaur that was galloping forwards explode. He swatted the flying debris away from him with the sword. With a few entanglements, he saw his four comrades run up beside him. Ahead, was the temple.         

                "Zelda!" Gretchen shouted. "C'mon! Lets get Nosedive!" Zelda quickly ran up behind her and the 2 started to run for the temple.

        Wildwing watched as the 2 quickly got out of sight. He shot 5 more pucks at the centaurs, making them hesitate but charge.

       

                Nosedive screamed in pain as Sheeva slashed at him with a taloned hand, making 5 huge gashes across his face. Blood quickly filled them, overflowing the deep wounds. Sheeva grinned and admired the blood as it slid down his face.

                "Ahh, the paint of warriors. Spilt it many times, I have, mortal." she smiled.

                "Yeah, I'll bet." Nosedive snarled, holding his face.

                "The problem with you, is that you have no respect for your betters!" Sheeva said, growling, raising herself up off the ground.

                "Well, you aint' getting nothing by beating the crud outta me." Nosedive said. He heard yelling not far off. He knew it was the others. He looked up to try and run away, but his eyes were red and running, filled with the blood that was oozing from wounds above. Nosedive blinked hard.

                "And don't worry about your little friends. The Dragoness is already dead, and my centaurs are taking care of the others."

                "Don't bet on it Sheeva!" yelled a voice from behind. The two in the temple turned to see Gretchen entering, with Zelda behind.

                "You! How could you be alive?!" Sheeva snarled, annoyed.

                "I have the favor of Zeus to thank for my life." Zelda said. Sheeva stepped back. Was she to go against the will of Zeus? Gretchen was already moving to help Nosedive. Sheeva put her hand up and made them both step back, coiling in pain. Zelda snarled. Something had to be done about this. Sheeva was immortal. There was no way the Ducks could battle over her, she would have to be tricked. Zelda thought hard as a few centaurs turned back on her and Gretchen. Her elders had told her stories about how the ancients held her kind in a sort of distant honor. If Zeus had favored her once, maybe...

 

                Wildwing snarled in pain as an arrow grazed his arm, shearing through the fabric of his clothes and tearing up his feathers. He whirled about and lay his foot in front of a centaur as it ran past him. The huge stone beast tripped and fell, landing flat on it's face. Wildwing shot an explosive puck at it and blasted it to rubble. Others were still coming. But he saw Zelda and Gretchen in the temple. The others were slowly filtering up to help them. It was only a matter of time.

 

                Zelda parted between Sheeva and Nosedive. All the centaurs had left to deal with the others. Sheeva stood up tall with a kind of cat-like prowess.

                "Well now, it's just us my mortal friends." she hissed. Zelda snarled.

                "I have a proposition for you Sheeva." she growled.

                "Ohhhh, the little dragoness wants in with a deal eh?" Sheeva replied. "Well, you've got to make it worth my while."

                "Oh I will." Zelda said sternly. She walked over to where Gretchen was helping Nosedive up. "This captive of yours, you've had your fun with him. But he's so weak. It's almost no privilege to beat on him anymore."

                "And?" Sheeva asked.

                "If you let him go unhindered, I will take his place." Zelda replied. Gretchen's head shot up. What was Zelda doing?

                "You? And what would a dragoness have to give her life for this mortal."

                "More than you would know." grinned Zelda. Gretchen waved Zelda over. "Give me a moment to discuss this." Zelda broke away from Sheeva and an over to Gretchen. "How is he?" she asked, looking over Nosedive.

                "He'll be okay, but what are you doing Zelda?" Gretchen asked. "The others will be here any minute..."

                "Sheeva can't be killed, if we escape, would you like to take the risk of having an eternal curse on you?" Zelda asked back. "Trust me. I have a hunch, and if it doesn't work, you'll still get out of here. Now, go and get Dive somewhere safe." As Zelda spoke, the rest of the team charged up the steps.

                "Let go of my brother now!" Wildwing demanded.

                "Tisk tisk, arrogant mortal." Sheeva said, waving one of her fingers at him. "And you can take your battered brother." Gretchen picked Dive up and helped him over to the rest of the team, where he was lain against a pillar.

                "Now Sheeva." Zelda continued. "Does this mean we have a deal?" Sheeva grinned.          

                "We do indeed."

                "Zelda, what are you doing?" Duke asked. Zelda grinned steadily at Sheeva.

                "Go." she replied, not looking away. "Get Dive outta here. I'll follow you soon enough." The team stood dumbfounded.

                "You think you can beat me, you stupid little dragoness?" Sheeva sneered. "Then you do not yet know the fullness of my wrath!" Suddenly, Zelda snarled and fell to the ground, curling up. Wildwing stepped forwards. Sheeva growled and waved her hand about. The team stumbled back in pain. Sheeva turned back. Zelda screamed. The team knew they had to do something. Suddenly, a boom rocked the stone walls, and made the whole temple shake. Sheeva froze.

                "SHEEVA!" a familiar voice boomed out. Zelda staggered slowly to her forepaws.

                "Zeus! My... what a surprise" Sheeva began.

                "Speak not to me, underling! You have ventured into a realm in which your powers do not belong! Your powers are to be used only for the purpose on which they were given to you. But you are torturing these mortals for your own fun? I will not have it! You are to be banished back to the Underworld where you belong!" Sheeva cried in anguish, and faded from sight. Her continuing cries echoed from deep inside the cave. Zelda got up slowly. The thunder still cracked and rumbled. The whole cave seemed alive with electricity. "Leave this place with your wounded mortals. You've stirred up enough trouble upon our sacred Olympus." Zelda bowed again, feverishly. She loped up to the others.

                "I think we'd best be going." she muttered. The team turned tail and got out of the cave as fast as they could.

                Wildwing seated himself at the controls.

                "You think this thing's still gonna fly?" Mallory asked.

                "It's worth a try." Wildwing replied. The front thrusters fired up, and the Aerowing delicately lifted itself away from the mountain face. As the sky rumbled, the team flew away.

                "Whew." said Duke.

                "I'll second that." Nosedive said, his face bandaged.

                "How did you know Zeus would do that Zelda?" Tanya asked.

                "Well, I didn't, but I hadn't much of a choice to try. Zeus, as a leader of the gods, had to keep them all in line. My guess was that we had to rile Sheeva up enough to get Zeus to notice it."

                "Well it was a good guess." Grin agreed. "Maybe you should show a little more respect now Dive." he grinned.

                "Don't even start with me!" Dive snorted. "If I ever get tortured by some angry goddess again, it'll be all too soon!"

 

The End

 

Mighty Ducks-The Animated Series, including all logos and characters (except mine) are copyright and property of Disney. You may copy, print, or whatever with this document, so long as it is not altered and I (Zelda) am credited. Thanks!