Jump the Gun, part 2

Written by Zelda

 

               

                Suddenly, the three drones fell forwards, and landed in a fury of explosions on the floor. Standing behind them, ducking to avoid the flying debris, were a tired, wounded, but triumphant and dignified Nosedive, Duke, and Zelda.

                "Tanya!" Zelda yelped, running up to her. "Are you okay?"

                "Uhhn, more or less." she snorted, rubbing her head gingerly. She slowly walked out towards the others. "Oh, we gotta go help Grin!" she said, suddenly realizing what she had forgotten earlier. "He's

still out in the main room!" Zelda, sensing her tone, turned and flew out quickly, with the others trying to keep up behind her. After a short stint of searching for the main room, Zelda skidded to a stop on the floor, and ran, panting, to where Grin lay, on his side, against the wall. As the others came up to her, they

could see that she wasn't wearing the usual pitying, sorrowful expression one would expect. Instead, she

stood over Grin with a slightly horrified look, as if she had just seen a ghost. Slowly, she turned to the

others.

                "Umm, do we have something we can lie him on, a stretcher...anything?" she asked, slightly panicky.

                "Yeah, I think there's one in the Migrator..." replied Tanya slowly, sensing Zelda tone.

                "Get it. Grin's been seriously hurt. I'm not kidding." she said. Tanya and

Duke ran out to the Migrator, while Zelda and Nosedive leaned in closer over Grin. Zelda shook him gently on the shoulder. "Grin? Grin, we're here buddy. Are you okay?" she asked fearfully. Grin squinted in pain and moaned. At that moment, Duke and Tanya came back with the stretcher, and laid it down beside him. "Try and lay him on his side." Zelda advised, as the three heaved and strained to lift Grin carefully, and carry him slowly out of the Raptor. As the Migrator sped away, Dragaunus watched from the safety of his command room.

                "So now what!" snarled Siege, rubbing his shoulder.

                "Those Ducks destroyed my box!" growled Dragaunus. "But it wasn't a total loss. I think the Ducks' little 'field trip' today will give them a little something to think about, until the next time we meet."

 

                Back in the shadowy recesses of the infirmary, all was not calm. After the Medicom's scan, it was clear of exactly what had happened to Grin. His skull had suffered several small stress fractures, but marvelously, they were nothing more than hairline cracks. Other than that, there was serious bruising to the stomach, and moderate bruising along his back. Although the others had suffered injuries, they didn't compare to those of Grin, who still lay crimped in pain on the Medicom table. Wildwing and Mallory had recovered nicely though, and were able to stand and try their best to comfort Grin. Through it all, it amazed and made Zelda proud, to see that no matter how exhausted and wounded she and her comrades were, they were unwilling to leave Grin's side. Eventually, though, at an untold hour, the team crept off to their own little corners, or nestled together for comfort, and fell to the haplessness of a dreary sleep.

 

                The next morning, the Ducks awakened to find the blows of the previous night dulled greatly by the relief of victory. Though they were forced to postpone a game, nobody regretted it much. In the course of a night, Grin had recovered wonderfully, and was able to talk with them in a dim and drowsy  voice. Though not yet ready to take Dragaunus on again, Zelda praised them, for they would now go forth to battle with a refreshed and strengthened internal bond, that would never crumble under the weight of any enemy.

 

The End

 

Mighty Ducks-The Animated Series, including all logos and characters (except me) are copyright and property of Disney. You may copy, print, or whatever with this document, so long as it is not altered and I (Zelda) am credited. Thanks!