Tanyazoid

Written by Zelda

 

                Tanya cracked her knuckles as she leaned back from Drake One's console, snapping her book shut. Finally she was done with the repairs. She yawned and decided to take a little trip on the information superhighway. So she clicked onto the Internet. She checked out a few of her favorite sites, but was bored quickly. She dabbled her fingers lazily across the keyboard. She turned as a door opened with a hiss, and Zelda came bounding through, Kazora not too far behind. There was yelling and shouting from the hallway.

                "What's going on?" Tanya asked. Kay leapt up and tried to hide behind her.

                "Zelda and I got Dive's video game controllers." she snickered. Zelda stood, panting and laughing, in the middle of the room, with a controller in her jaws. Nosedive burst through the door with a watergun. Zelda yelped and ran off. Kazora crouched behind the chair. Suddenly, she yelled as something slipped around her. Duke withdrew quickly with a controller held highly, like a prize.

                "Gotcha!" he laughed, and tossed the controller to Dive. He caught it gratefully. Kay snorted, and then grinned. As Dive continued to chase Zelda, Kay leapt after him and tackled him. He laughed and shot her in the face with his water gun. Wildwing walked in amidst the clamor and sighed, trying to find a dry place to sit down. Mallory and Grin walked in too, from the opposite side of the room. Tanya shook her head and leaned over. Something clicked beneath her arm. She looked down to see she had pressed the 'enter' key on Drake One's keyboard. She turned away, but suddenly felt something in the air, like a type of electricity. Suddenly, there was a huge sucking force, drawing her right towards the screen! She panicked and yelled. What the heck was going on?

 

                Wildwing looked up to see Drake One's screen as a neon blue. Out of the middle, a huge vortex had emerged and was sucking poor Tanya up! He was going to yell for help, but everyone had already noticed and was moving towards the towering supercomputer. Tanya gripped the back of her chair, trying desperately to hold on. But finally, she was wrenched free before anyone could reach out a hand. Screaming, she dis=sappeared into the screen, and the computer fell silent. The screen remained blue, flashing wildly.

                "What happened?" Zelda cried.

                "I don't know, it just sucked her up!" Mallory said in amazement.

                "But where is she?" Wildwing asked. Suddenly, Tanya was spit violently out of the screen, and landed roughly about 20 feet away on the ground. But she didn't miss a beat, bouncing up and landing agilely on her feet. The team stood aghast. Tanya looked wild-eyed and crazy. She had a huge grin on her face, and two large, white streaks in the shapes of lightning bolts, going up the sides of her hair. She stretched quickly.

                "Man do I feel good!" she yelled gleefully. Grin's jaw dropped open.

                "Tanya?" Kay asked slowly. Tanya suddenly darted, shooting forwards. She moved so fast that the lower half of her body became a lightning bolt! She shot strait up to the ceiling, and sat on top of a ventilation tunnel.

                "That's my name, don't wear it out!" she said. She suddenly started bouncing around the room like a ping pong ball, hooting like Daffy Duck.

                "Somebody stop her! She's impersonating a WB character!" Duke cried, covering his eyes. Wildwing, Grin, and Kay dogpiled on her all at once in the middle of the room, finally getting her to stop. Tanya stood up and brushed herself off. Then, she shot up to Mallory and grabbed her shoulders.

                "Hey, you wanna go get a SNO CONE?" she cried happily. Mallory wrenched herself free and stepped back in surprise.

                "What the...." Zelda thought. "Tanya!" she yelled. Tanya shot up to her.

                "Yessss funny dragon type lady?" She asked giddily.

                "Do me a favor. Repeat after me." Zelda ordered. "Say: Freak in!" Tanya nodded and repeated.

                "Awwww FREAK IN!!" she yelled at the top of her lungs. Suddenly, she started spinning, white light enveloping her. Finally, she spun to a stop, holding her head. The lightning bolts were gone from her hair. She sat, dumbfounded, on the floor. Zelda grinned.

                "Tanya!" cried Wildwing, hoisting her up. "Are you okay?"

                "I feel fine..." she started woozily. "Just stop the room from spinning!"

 

                Tanya looked intently at the Medicom screen.

                "So?" she asked.

                "Well you're fine." Zelda said.

                "But that's impossible!" Duke started. "Just a few minutes ago she was-"

                "I know. She's fine now." Zelda explained. "I had a hunch about what happened to ya Tanya." Zelda said. "Tell me, is there a Pinnacle chip anywhere in Drake One?" Tanya thought hard.

                "Why yeah, got one at a bargain price. How would you know about that?" Zelda smacked her forehead.

                "You guys remember Freakazoid, right?" She asked. The team thought a moment.

                "Yeah, that guy at the WB studios? The one with the funny red suit?" Dive asked.

                "That's him." said Zelda. "The reason that the pinnacle chip is so important is because Freakazoid got his powers from it. He typed in some code and it zapped him, just like it did you."

                "So I got Freakazoid's powers?" Tanya asked.

                "Looks that way. But you may be unstable for a little while...." Suddenly, Tanya spun around again, and the bolts reappeared in her hair.

                "Whooo you're tellin' me!" she giggled, and leapt up to the ceiling again. Suddenly she turned back to normal, and came crashing to the ground. Zelda rubbed her chin as Duke helped her up.

                "Hmmm, methinks we're gonna need a little help on this one." she started.

               

                Dragaunus chuckled to himself. He couldn't believe his luck! That avian idiot had stumbled on just the thing to put her out for good :) Now he just needed a specialist. It would take a little money, but he could send Chameleon to do the dealing. He always drove a hard bargain. And if he didn't persuade, Seige and a good laser rifle would surely convince....

 

                Freakazoid looked Tanya over intently as she sat.

                "Yup, one bonified 'Tanyazoid' ya got here." he said. "But how on earth did you figure out the code? Dexter's stupid fat cat was to blame for discovering it in the first place."

                "I was just typing stuff." Tanya shrugged.

                "Any advice on how to reverse this?" Wildwing asked.

                "Well the guy who'd know about that is Marty McStu... I have his address here somewhere..." Freakazoid said, fumbling through his pockets. Wildwing leaned up against the Medicom. He hoped Tanya would be okay... Suddenly, Freakazoid stood upright, as if he was startled.

                "Something wrong?" asked Duke.

                "I thought I felt something..." he started. Grin nodded.

                "I'm getting bad vibes again..." he started. Tanya shook herself too.

                "Well what's wrong?" Wildwing asked. Freakazoid wiped his brow.

                "This has happened before..." he started nervously. Zelda perked her ears up. Suddenly, both Frakazoid and Tanya yelled out and fell to their knees. Tanya lost her balance and fell off of the Medicom bed. Freakazoid squinted in pain and bent his head as if he were nauseous. The others helped them up immediately.

                "What's going on?!" asked Mallory, now really getting worried. The two were lain down on Medicom beds, because it didn't appear that they could stand. Freakazoid struggled to get up.

                "Relax already!" Nosedive said. "Now what's going on?" The Ducks were really getting nervous now. The two squinted in pain, and beads of sweat dripped down their faces. Zelda had started up the Medicom, and was reading the data.

                "What the...." she started. "Electrical and nervous impulses are going off the scale! It's all one big jumble." she said, immediately confused. Freakazoid raised his arm a bit. Zelda turned away and went to his side. She was surprised to see how much pain he and Tanya were in! He tried to say something, but it came out all scratchy and dry. "What?" she asked. Freakazoid struggled with the word again. Finally he said.

                "Virus..." Zelda frowned. How could a virus act so fast? She'd never seen something like that. A million thoughts started to race through her head.

                "Not a disease..." Duke started.

                "A computer virus!" Mallory concluded. Zelda snapped her claws.

                "That's it!" she said.

                "A computer virus?" Wildwing asked.

                "Well I'm no specialist in computers." Zelda said, gesturing to Tanya. "But a virus may be attacking those chips..."

                "But both at the same time?" Duke asked. Zelda thought hard. Freakazoid reached up again, and put his left hand in his pocket slowly. He withdrew it, and he held something in it. Zelda took it from him. It was a piece of paper with an internet address on it.

                "You want us to go here?" she asked him. Freakazoid closed his eyes to signify a nod.

                "Come on team, let's move fast." Wildwing said. The others followed him and ran to the Ready Room.

 

                Nosedive looked at Drake One in curiosity as the machine stood before him, whirring softly. He clicked up a link to the net and typed in the address on the faded piece of paper carefully. Then he clicked "Enter" the web page started to download quickly, after all Drake One had a very fast modem. Soon a video image of a man in a Scottish hat came up on the screen. He turned around as if startled and frowned at the group.

                "Alright, what do you want?" he asked coldly. "And how did ye get here, this page isn't on ANY of the search engines!" Wildwing began to talk, but the man interrupted him. "And if you want my e-mail addie for some stupid junk mail I can tell you I've gotten it all already!" he yelled angrily. Wildwing shrugged and looked at Zelda.

                "Well, you're the big ambassador." he nudged. Zelda stepped forward and coughed.

                "Are you... Marty McStu?" she asked.

                "How didja know I was here?" he asked angrily.

                "We were told to come here. Marty, a friend of yours is in great danger, as well as a friend of ours." The man looked at her strangely.

                "The Freakazoid told you to go here?" he asked slowly. Zelda nodded. "Then something's wrong with the boy.." he started.

                "Yes." Zelda nodded. "McStu, Freakazoid has told me about you, so I think you'll understand what I have to report. It seems a friend of ours has also gained his powers from the pinnacle chip--"

                "The flaw has been rediscovered?" he asked, alarmed.

                "The flaw..." she started, trying to remember.

                "When the pinnacle chip was manufactured, almost every computer had one. Then a flaw was discovered. A user who was connected to the Internet could type in a code and the system would suck them in, giving the user all the powers the Web had to offer. But it was ignored by the company. I was nearly killed for knowing about it. Then the boy stumbled across the flaw and became the Freakazoid! So I found him before the company did. But they chased us down. The only way for me to escape was to enter the code myself and activate the flaw. I've been here ever since. But you say your friend has powers like the boy?" Zelda nodded. "Then the flaw's surfaced again! I can't believe your computer still has a chip in it. They were recalled years ago!"

                "But Mr. McStu, there is a danger here." Wildwing continued. "The two have contracted some sort of computer virus... it's doing very large amounts of damage." McStu appeared stricken.

                "Aye, why didn't you tell me sooner!" he said. "If a serious virus is in the chip system, it could destroy it and the user with its powers!"

                "But it's affecting both of them at once. How could that be?" Mallory asked.

                "I don't know, but you've got to act fast before that virus does permanent damage to the laddies!" McStu warned. "I'll let you download some of these virus protectors.. it may buy you some time..."

                "Download?" Nosedive asked.

                "Fine fine I'll do it myself!" McStu said, slapping his forehead.

                "So wat do we have to do?" asked Duke.

                "Disconnect the pinnacle chip from the computer and that should solve your problems." McStu advised.

                "Thanks for your help." Zelda nodded.

                "Give my regards to the boy." McStu said, and the image faded to black.

                "Okay guys, let's get moving." Wildwing said.

 

                Mallory flipped helplessly through the books about the construction of Drake One's mainframe.

                "Find anything yet?" called Grin.

                "Nope." Mallory sighed, frustrated. She turned quickly through the pages of another book, until something fell out of it. Mallory unfolded a large blueprint of the motherboard. She looked at it, immensely confused, for a moment, until she saw a large chip in the middle of it. She grinned and stood up. "Found it!" she called.

 

                Zelda perched with her front paws on the swivel chair, looking at the Medicom. Tanya and Freakazoid had long since fallen silent, too weak to talk. Zelda was thinking hard. They had to move fast, they had to stop this thing. McStu had told her it could do permanent damage. What kind of damage? Neurological, circulatory, brain damage? She observed the feedout. They were both fading fast. Zelda whined.

               

                "Are you sure this is what we're looking for?" Duke asked, lifting a mass of cables in a rainbow of colors from a hole in Drake One. Mallory dug into the blueprints again.     

                "No, to the right of that. Don't you know what a motherboard looks like?"

                "Does it look like I do?" Duke snarled, poking his head into the hole.

                "Less talk and more work guys." Wildwing said sternly. Duke knew that he was right. They didn't have much time. He reached out and grabbed something. He pulled it out into the light, revealing a large green board of plastic, crisscrossed with silver lines and full of wires and little devices. Mallory looked at the blueprints again.

                "There! That's it!" she said, pointing to a golden square in the middle of the board. "That's the chip." Wildwing went over and clicked on a com link to the infirmary.

                "How's it going down there?" he asked. He removed his finger from the button, waiting for a reply over the silence.

                "Not too well." Zelda clicked back in reply. "They appear to be linked in some way. For some reason... It's like they're climbing a mountain and are tied together with a rope. When one falls, they both fall." Wildwing sorted out Zelda's analogy quickly.

                "Well we're doing the best we can. Tell Tanya we wish we had her help up here."

                "I will." Zelda clicked again. "Lemme know when details arise.

                "You too." Wing said, and stepped away from the console. Duke had out a sharp-edged lock pick of his, and was ready to try and get the chip out.

                "Careful what you're doing." warned Grin.

                "Like you would know about this?" Duke asked him, not looking up from his work.

                "Think of the machine as a living extension of Tanya and Freakazoid. Don't cut what you don't have to." Grin replied. Duke understood slightly, and went back to work. He wedged the pick in-between the board itself and the chip, twisting the pick upwards to pry it out. But it wouldn't budge. Something was wrong here...

 

                Tanya suddenly rolled over and moaned in pain, clutching her stomach. Freakzoid followed her slowly. Zelda stood rigidly, frantically, watching them. She turned fearfully to the monitor that was watching their vital signs. They had taken a sickening plunge and remained there. She clicked the com open again.

                "You're doing something wrong up there guys.." she started.

                "Sorry about that." Nosedive said. "We're going to try not to have any more technical difficulties."

                "The others are counting on you." Zelda reminded him, and clicked the com off. She went over to Tanya's bedside and brushed her hair back as she uncoiled slowly, the pain fading away.

                "Hang on girl, the others are doing their best..." she pleaded, hoping Tanya would hear and understand.

 

                Duke prodded carefully. He had found that the chip had several prongs in the bottom of it, and they had to be removed but couldn't be damaged. This wasn't going to be easy. He turned the board over and started punching the prongs gently out one by one. He moved rhythmically and quickly. There wasn't much time... he had to go faster. But he couldn't screw up. He felt like he was disarming a bomb or something. But he was figuring it out. He slowly placed his pick in-between the board and the chip again, and was about to wrench upwards and pry it out, when suddenly a surge of electricity ran up through him. He yelled and dropped the pick. The screen on Drake One flashed and whirled.

                "What the heck was that?" Duke snapped, rubbing his head. "Nosedive, I thought you shut off the power to this area!"

                "I did!" Nosedive yelled back. The flashing ended, and a sentence flashed in red on the screen:

                "Incoming e-mail"

                "Who would..." Mallory started. Wildwing went over to the console and started pressing buttons. Finally the e-mail came up, and it read thusly.

                "It's me laddies, McStu. Listen, ya don't have much time before that virus spreads. It'll affect your computer and your friend who got their powers from it. Anyway, I've found out that Freakazoid and your friend are linked. Somehow, someone linked the two chips together. If you can get the chip out there, the boy should be okay. But move fast."

                                                Best of luck,

                                                Marty McStu

Wildwing knitted his brows. Duke picked up his lock pick and touched the chip cautiously. No electric shock. Duke sighed with relief.

                "Come on, let's pick this up." Grin said, looking down worriedly.

 

                Zelda stared down at the floor and sighed. Every bleep of the heart monitors became weaker as time passed. Zelda looked up at Tanya, and then at Freakazoid. He looked so sad. Zelda felt so sorry for him. The poor guy had been through a lot lately, she had grown a little detached from him in all the action. But Zelda still knew he was holding on. As for Tanya, Zelda knew she would try her best. They were both in such pain, she wished there was something, anything she could do. But she knew nothing about computers, just a few basic things the Ducks had taught her. If only Tanya could be up and about now! They'd have this virus problem gone in no time. But Tanya wasn't up. She was laying down, dying, with these wierd powers and a crazy look in her eyes. Now it was up to the rest of them. Zelda had faith, but she alone felt so helpless... Zelda glanced at the monitors once again and sighed. Deep down inside, she had the horrible fear that this moment would come. She knew the two didn't have much longer... she sniffed. Maybe four, five minutes. Then their hearts would stop. They already weren't working hard enough to support the two. They were just fading, slowly, slowly. Zelda felt awful. The seconds, the minutes, seemed to race by. How many more ticks of the clock would they have left, to spend writhing silently in dark agony, to watch as everything around them slowly turned black? Zelda sniffed. There was nothing more she could do for them, but stare into their eyes, squinted shut in pain.... And then Zelda stared. They weren't squinting anymore. The two lay relaxed and silent in their beds. So it had been done... Zelda thought. So it was over... But then she heard a bleep. Two bleeps. Zelda looked up at the heart monitors to see that they were functioning normally! She saw the two breathing slowly. Zelda slumped to the floor and let out a loud sigh of relief and hope.

                "Zelda?" the com clicked next to the Medicom console. It was Wildwing. "How we doing down there?" There was a twinge of fear in his voice. She got up and placed her front paws on the chair again, clicking on the com.

                "Excellent job up there." she smiled. "They're both asleep, vital signs quickly returning to normal." Wildwing sighed.

                "Thanks Zel, be down in a minute." he finished, and clicked off the com.

 

                The team looked visibly relived as Tanya yawned and scratched her head.

                "What happened?" she asked.

                "We took out the chip and everything was fine." Duke smiled at her.

                "So you go the advice from McStu eh?' Freakazoid said, sitting on the edge of the bed.

                "Couldn't have done it without him." Zelda nodded. "He said those two chips were linked somehow..." Freakazoid cocked his head.

                "Linked eh? Sounds like a hacker to me...." he looked over at Tanya and grinned. Tanya caught his idea and smiled back. "And you know what we love to do to hackers....."

 

                Tanya tapped away at Drake One with an evil grin on her face.

                "If I can just track the source of that virus, we can find out who did this..." she said, typing on codes that the other members of the team didn't bother to try and understand.

                "Whoop, I think we have something!" Freakazoid announced. Tanya cracked her knuckles and typed faster.

                "I'm trying to get a visual..." she said. Finally a video image came up.

                "I told you I did the best I could! You can only do so much!" a man in thin glasses argued. The team stared hard at the background of the picture... It looked a lot like...

                "For the money I paid you you'll do what I tell you too!" a familiar voice roared.

                "Dragaunus!" Nosedive growled.

                "And they're in the Raptor." Mallory added.

                "Listen, you don't even know the first thing about computers you lizard, so I wouldn't start talking..."

                "I'll show you a thing or two about doing what your told you puny little human..." The two continued to argue. Suddenly, Tanya had an idea. She started typing furiously again.

                "What are you doing?" Grin asked, sensing her mood.

                "Just modifying a few things so I can give Draggy a little payback." she grinned. Satisfied, she pressed 'enter'. Back on the video, Dragaunus shoved the human up to his computer console.

                "I'm not going to give you a cent until you get that job done right! Now try it again!" he roared. The man shrugged and started typing. Suddenly, the screen started to flash uncontrollably, and a huge Mighty Ducks logo came up on the screen.

                "What the...." Dragaunus started angrily. The man slapped his forehead.

                "Backfire...." he mumbled. The Ducks fell over laughing.

 

The End

 

Mighty Ducks-The Animated Series, including all logos and characters (except mine) are copyright and property of Disney. You may copy, print, or whatever with this document, so long as it is not altered and I (Zelda) am credited. Thanks!