The Mark, part 2

Written by Zelda

 

                Stock stumbled backwards angrily, charred all over. QJ stalked him, with Grin right behind him.

                "Mark!" Stock called loudly. Almaron was at his side, panting. Cirria and Mortar soon followed. "You okay?" Stock asked to her quietly. Cirria nodded slowly. Stock growled and turned back to see the Ducks slowly surrounding them, their own injured in tow. "Where's Fireblood?" he asked suddenly, meeting silence. Wildwing looked around.

                "Where's Duke?" he asked, meeting the same dreadful silence. Suddenly, they heard a loud bird cry, and turned. Duke came running out of an alley next to the Pond. He limped slightly, looking behind him. Suddenly, he tripped and skidded to a stop on the asphalt. Fireblood came charging out of the alley, screaming in bloodlust. She leapt high into the air and put her staff in front of her, planning to land a stab right in Duke's back. Duke glanced upwards, and brought up his sword, rolling over. But Fireblood was smarter, She curved the sickle blade, landing off and falling near him in the gravel. The blade sliced across his arm. Duke curled up in pain and remained that way. Fireblood regained herself quickly and prepared to strike again, when a puck hit her staff, nearly knocking it away. She turned to see Celyna, Kay, Hawkwing and Freefall charging her. She cried again and landed a flying kick, parting through all of them and rejoining the rest of The Mark. Stock looked at the group doubtfully.

                "You are lucky we show rare mercy this time Duck -heads. But believe me, next time you avians will not be so lucky. And don't expect us to go light on the dragon either." he snorted and fussed with the teleporters. The strange dinosaurs disappeared.

 

                "I pay you well and you fail me?" Dragaunus asked. He was not in a usual tantrum. The henchmen watched him strangely. He sat back in his cockpit throne, staring coldly down at The Mark. His voice did little to change tone. And the henchmen were frightened of him.

                "We have wounded several of the Ducks my Lord. They will indeed be fearful of another attack." Stock offered rather humbly.

                "Which is exactly what you'll give them as soon as you are able." Dragaunus said.

                "We look forward to it my Lord." Mortar said.

                "Good. You know where your living quarters are." Dragaunus dismissed them. The slightly bandaged Mark went silently.

 

                Zelda sat with an ice pack drooping over her eyes. The Ducks milled quietly around in the infirmary attending to their various injures, none of them highly serious. Finally, Wildwing stood.

                "Okay, okay. This flying dinosaur thing tries to kidnap Zelda, then four more show up and start to attack us because Dragaunus told them to. And they call themselves The Mark. Can anyone offer any more information up?"

                "I can." Mallory said slowly. The group turned to her and listened. Mallory hesitated.

                "Well?" Stivz asked.

                "It's classified Puckworld Special Forces info. But I don't think that matters now." she said slowly. "When I was in the Forces for wartime duties, I fought in this battle against Saurian troops. We went in at night, to destroy a supply depot of theirs that we assumed was lightly guarded. But we were wrong. Suddenly this attack came from everywhere. Many were wounded, including me. But when the call for retreat came, I could still run. An ambulance picked me up and took me back to the base infirmary. The next morning I heard a general discussing the details of the battle outside my door. He said that the attack came from this force of Saurians, that were like nothing he had ever seen. And they all had crescent marks on their shoulders.... just like these guys did. They killed 50% of our entire class of soldiers on the spot that night." Stivz rubbed his beak.

                "Wow... that's thick stuff." QJ started.

                "And now they're here..." Wildwing said. The Ducks looked down at the floor.

                "So what can we do?" asked Gretchen. "I mean, they know where we are, they can just show up and cause trouble anytime they want."

                "Or, we could do the same." Hawkwing said.

                "Yeah.... we could start the attack." Duke caught on.

                "If we can find the Raptor." Tanya said.

                "That's an if." Kay said. "We've gotta start looking."

                "Good idea. Tanya, start scanning now." Wildwing said. "I know we're all not in the best shape to fight, but neither is The Mark. If we've got a chance to surprise them, we have to do it now."

                "Agreed." Mallory said. The team left for the Ready Room. They had some hunting to do.

 

                Tanya peered through her binoculars at the little mountain shack. At least they'd be far from the city when they fought. Stivz crouched beside her, behind a bush.

                "So that's the Raptor?" she asked. Stivz checked his mask.

                "Huh, no mistakin' that hunk of junk." he snorted, and raised his puck launcher. A few yards away, Destiny and Quacker Jax hid behind another bush, Nosedive loading his puck launcher.

                "Jeez I hate this." Destiny said. "I never liked 'away games' if you know what I mean."

                "Yeah, it's their turf, their advantage." QJ nodded. "I don't like it either. But it's better than waiting for them to come trash the Pond." About 40 feet directly ahead, Mallory, Wildwing, Zelda, and Gretchen crouched behind a fallen log, trying to find some plan of attack.

                "Well they've chosen a great spot." Zelda said. "Up on that mountain, they can see out for miles. Once we get above the tree line, there's very little cover, if any."

                "They've also got the tactical advantage of being able to fire down on us. They can sit and watch while were climbing. We'll have to move fast or they'll just pick us off." Mallory added. Wildwing shook his head.

                "This is gonna be tough." he said, and wiped his bill. Kay leaned up next to him.

                "Maybe Zelda and I can fly up as decoys, distract them while you guys can climb a bit." she suggested. Wildwing frowned, he didn't like putting them at risk. But if it meant that the bulk of the team would have a better chance of getting to the Raptor....

 

                "Okay, so you all know the plan." Wildwing said, a faint crackle of static coming in over Lindsay's com.

                "A-OK here Wing. Matt and I are in position." she reported back.

                "Good. Don't start moving until you see Zel and Kay flying up." Matt looked up through a gap in the foliage, and suddenly stood.

                "I see them!" he said.

                "Okay, move out! I'll cover for you for now." Mallory's voice barked over their coms. Lindsay and Matt left cover behind, and leapt out towards the mountain, starting to scramble up the rocky hillside.

 

                Erin paused for a split second, panting. She looked up. Zelda and Kay still glided easily through the sky, circling the shack like vultures. It had been a good five minutes she'd been climbing, and it was too quiet. She found a grip in the rock and hoisted herself up a few more feet.

 

                Zelda watched the shack carefully. She and Kay had started out their flight as obvious targets, gliding slowly around. But they received no response from the Raptor. Zelda knew she wasn't being ignored, the Saurians were smarter than that. She and Kazora quickened their paces, swooping and darting agilely. Kay always kept directly across from her. She looked over and shrugged. Zelda looked down to see some of the Ducks almost halfway up to the shack, and still climbing fast. What were the Mark waiting for? Then, she figured it out in one sickening shock.

 

                Gretchen hoisted herself up a large rock, and took a five second breather before pulling Wildwing up beside her.

                "Jeez, why couldn't they have holed up in a valley?" Wing asked. Suddenly, Gretch yelled and was thrown back as a blast streaked past her. It struck Wildwing and threw him back. Gretchen cried out and grabbed for him, catching his hand as he fell. The smoke cleared to reveal him dangling over the rock. He yelped and gripped the edge with one hand, as Gretchen started to pull him back up. More blasts resonated around them. There was yelling and crackling over the com, Wing couldn't make it out as he was pulled back up. Keeping his launcher ready, he started to climb gingerly.

 

                Zelda cried in rage and dove strait down, using the back of her neck to ram hard into Almaron's shoulder. He stumbled back on the face of the cliff, just before the shack. The stegosaur growled and turned around, pivoting a huge laser cannon in Zelda's direction. She yelped and scooted off, hot white blasts torching the ground inches from her heels. She finally tumbled behind a log and darted up into the air again, now finding it easier to avoid the blasts. Almaron whipped about and continued to fire on her. The dragon swooped down and rammed him hard with her head, right in the gut. The dinosaur tumbled to the ground, losing grip on his cannon. He whirled around, whipping his tail forwards. Zelda cried in alarm as her right front limb was suddenly pinned to the ground, staked in place by Almaron's four tail spikes. She yanked and struggled as he got to his feet and retrieved his laser. He aimed and was about to fire, when Cirria came crashing into them, shoved by a bluish blur, later identified as Kazora. The blast from Almaron's laser hit mere inches away from Zelda's head. She finally freed herself and jumped into the tussle on the cliff edge, tackling Cirria.

 

                Duke watched the fight from the ground, holding his launcher ready just in case. He had stayed behind on Wildwing's orders, not too fit to fight at the moment. He watched as his team climbed carefully. He shot often at the three or four that were firing on his friends, but he was too far down to get a clear hit. He looked as he suddenly heard a loud scream, and looked up to see Cirria, broad tan wings taut, swooping down from the cliff's edge, heading straight for him.

 

                The mage received the full brunt of Fireblood's well placed blow, the two feet hitting him squarely in the gut as she kicked with her full force. QJ rolled to a stop and crumpled before her on the ground, the wind knocked soundly out of him. Freefall stood in front of him as Hawkwing and Coolbeak paced forwards.

                "Come on ya stinkin' avians!" the dinosaur challenged. "I could take you all with one hand tied behind my back!" Suddenly, she yelped as one arm was grabbed, and twisted painfully up to her spine by Turby.

                "Well then why don't you?" she asked. Fireblood suddenly ducked and spun, snapping her wrist and throwing Turby at her feet in a lightning-quick move. The DuCaine stumbled back, coughing. "My you're good."

                "I'm not a Mark for nothing." Fireblood grinned back. She reached back to take her staff from it's holster along her back, but gasped when she found it wasn't there. She looked up just in time to see Turbulance toss it over the cliff.

                "Well I'm not that shabby either." she grinned, as Hawkwing raced forwards to tackle the dinosaur.

 

                White smoke went up in a violent burst, and then streaked down after a falling tan lizard in the air. It disappeared through the forest canopy, and Wildwing turned back from the shot, his launcher smoking. Wing looked around quickly. He had lost track of Gretchen and could find no trace of the fighting except for the loud clamor all around him. He needed to take these lizards out. He needed to find Stock. Wildwing leapt into the forest of thick, stunted little pine trees, just away from the cliff. The needles tore at his legs and hair, stinging his face. He needed to find the Raptor. Suddenly, there was a loud cracking of wood nearby. Wildwing spun around, and was met by a thick, rotting tree trunk right into his side. The Duck went flying, landing on his head and rolling to a stop. He got back to his feet quickly to see Stock leap out in front of him and swing at him with a fist. Wildwing agilely dodged and managed to land a kick on the dinosaur's shoulder. Stock roared and clenched his fists; two fists as hard as rock. He charged, head down, at the duck. Wildwing yelped and ducked again, so the big saurian rammed head on into a tree and got his horn stuck. Wildwing ran about twenty feet away before he peeked out from behind a tree, daring to look back. Stock bellowed in fury and wrenched his head to the side, ripping a huge chunk of the trunk out. Stock turned and charged again. Wildwing knew he had to get out into the open. He turned and ran, firing behind him as the trees tried to hold him back. Suddenly, he ran head on into something hard. Wildwing recovered quickly, looking up to see red metal. He had ran right into the Raptor! He suddenly gasped and rolled to the side, seconds before Stock punched a huge dent in the metal where the duck had just stood. Wildwing reared up and fired, a smoke puck exploding right in front of Stock. The Saurian charged through, unphased, and landed a huge punch right in Wildwing's shoulder. The goalie sprawled on the ground and lay there for a few seconds before he started to get up again. Stock knew he had nailed the sucker. Now to move in for the kill, while the duck's spine was exposed. He'd enjoy watching the featherhead writhe and die slowly on the ground. He reared back his head and poised his horn, curving and ready to strike like a cobra. Suddenly there was a loud cry, and Stock looked up just in time to see Kazora come ramming into him from the air. He was knocked onto his back, and he whipped out with his tail. Kay swooped up, just inches away from the spines, and landed in front of Wing, who was still trying to get up.

                "Big mistake you little scaled rat!" Stock coughed, getting up. He took something out from behind his back. Kay perked her ears as she heard the click of a pin, and reacted, but it was too late.

               

                Wildwing gasped and cringed as dirt and heat were thrown up all over him. He heard Kay cry and leap away, shoved by the blow. Wildwing couldn't get up. He just couldn't. The blow to his gut by that log slipped up into his lungs every time he tried to raise himself. He reached out with a wobbling launcher, looking for Stock through the dust. But there was no one. Not a sound. Suddenly, the forest crashed to life as he saw Kay and Stock suddenly charge at one another through the dust, sparring powerfully off. Wildwing didn't want to shoot and hit Kay... he held his arm steady and tried to breathe.

 

                Jax was back on his feet, thank goodness. He wanted to take these guys out before they really hurt somebody. He had found Lindsay and Matt as they ran around the Raptor, looking for anything to attack.

                "You wanna try looking IN the Raptor?" Linds asked.

                "Are you nuts?" QJ asked. "Without the rest of the team? We'll be slaughtered!"

                "Actually it might not be a bad idea." said Candy, joining the group. "With everyone watching the fight out here."

                "Let's at least see if we can't open the doors." Matt said. The mage nodded and the four ran until they stood before the bay doors of the Raptor. Quacker Jax pushed his sleeves up, muttered something lowly, and suddenly two fireballs shot from his hands, incinerating the doors. In the smoke, QJ grinned and dusted off his hands as the others loaded up their weapons and prepared to run in. Destiny was suddenly beside Matt as they leapt through the door frame and ran in. No more than a foot from the door, Destiny suddenly ran into something and screamed. Matt skidded to a stop, looking through the smoke to see Destiny suddenly flung out of the doors, into the light. He followed her out again. Through the smoke, Mortar stood at the door, head lowered and spikes flashing, brandishing a silver laser cannon on his shoulder. The Ducks gasped and began to fire. The Saurian leapt out into the flurry of action, firing hot white blasts. He whipped his tail about him, keeping the others at a safe distance away. Lindsay handsprung delicately off of the ground and landed a kick right in Mortar's back. He flew forwards and landed on his stomach, the laser skidding away across the ground. Matt ran in for the lizard, but Mortar recovered surprisingly quickly. He seized Matt around the leg and dragged him to the ground, placing a heavy foot on the back of his neck and pressing him down.

                "Matt!" Candy yelled.

                "Don't try anything stupid now featherbrains...." Mortar warned loudly, waving the blades on his tail right above Matt's head. The Ducks lowered their arms. Mortar picked Matt up again, holding him fast in a choke around his neck. Matt gasped and struggled as Mortar started to edge away from the group. The Ducks quickly surrounded him, launchers raised again.

                "Where do you think you're going?!" Lindsay asked. Mortar grinned and pointed at the cliff.

                "And don't you dare try anything." he reminded. He was right. A well placed punch could cave in Matt's skull and turn his brain into tapioca. Candy hesitantly followed him. She needed a plan and she needed one now.

 

                Lindsay watched in a kind of horror as Matt struggled to get free. She felt so helpless, watching as Mortar backed towards the cliff, shifting his eyes. He had regained his laser gun, now adding that as a threat to poor Matt's head. But what could he want at the cliff? Linds couldn't figure it out.

 

Until he reached the edge and stopped.

 

The others must have seen it too. Candy's jaw dropped in disbelief before she snapped to order and reaimed her launcher. Nonchalantly, Mortar carefully loosened his grip on Matt's neck, and let go. Matt only had a few seconds to breathe, before he was violently shoved over the edge.

 

                Zelda saw him, falling quite plainly, arms flailing in the fashion typical of one who lacked wings. But there wasn't any time to waste. She dove off of her perch: a tree that jutted horizontally out of the rocks, and up to the falling duck. She flapped harder, she needed to get to him now! Finally, she reached out with her back claws, suddenly seeing a whoosh of the figure before her, feeling the cloth of his shirt snag on her claws. Then, two violent sensations. She was yanked down hard as she slammed into the face of the cliff. Zelda snarled as she heard Matt yelling. She dug her claws into the rock hard, still being pulled, inching downwards. Could she hold his weight up? Zelda gasped and strained, craning upwards. Suddenly, a shadow loomed over her. She looked up to see Mortar grinning at her, a huge laser cannon whirring into action. A hot white blast raced past her, sending tiny chunks of rock everywhere. Zelda roared and gripped harder. Another blast, near her claws. The rock slipped away as one claw gave its hold, and her body jerked downwards. Mortar was taking shots from behind, but he still continued to fire down on her. Zelda cried out desperately, trying to retain her hold on the rock. Mortar had plenty of time to crane his laser down into place, lining up the dragon in the crosshairs. Grinning, he started to slowly squeeze the trigger. And then his target vanished.

 

                Mortar paused for a moment, blinking his eyes in disbelief. They both had simply disappeared! They weren't on the rock below, there was no sign of them. Suddenly, Mortar felt a tap on his shoulder. He spun around to see Quacker Jax point to a place a few yards away, safe from the edge. Suddenly, Zelda and Matt reappeared. The mage stepped away and dusted off his hands. Mortar bellowed in sheer rage and spun about, lashing his tail and reaiming his cannon. But that trick gave the Ducks a spurt of confidence. They defiantly set their launchers right in his face. Mortar saw that he was sadly outnumbered as Zelda and Matt joined in. He frowned.

 

                Tanya parted quickly through the trees, spying through the thick needles. A lot of smoke was wafting through the branches, she was curious. Suddenly, she heard something crashing through the foliage. She yelped and whipped out her launcher. A creature burst out before her, and suddenly put its hands up in fear and defense.

                "Kay!" Tanya said, surprised. She quickly lowered her weapon. Kay was marred with scrapes.

                "Am I ever glad I found you." Kay paused, gasping for breath.

                "What happened to you?"

                "Got a mouthful of Stock." Kay grinned.

                "Well I'd hate to see what he looks like now." Tanya patted her friend on the shoulder.

                "But he hit Wing pretty bad, he's still in the woods back there." Kay said.

                "Where?" Tanya asked, concerned.

                "Follow me!" With a bound, Kay was off like a rabbit through the trees, Tanya doing her best to follow.

 

                Wildwing was slowly catching his breath as he saw Kay and Tanya break through the clearing. He straitened himself up a bit.

                "Tanya, you holding up?" he asked her.

                "I should be asking that question of you." Tanya shook her head, her hair flicking about. "What hurts?"

                "Not much." Wildwing lied. "Just the ribs a bit. I'll be fine!" he walked away from her slowly. "Where are the others?"

                "Last I saw of them they were still fighting on the ridge." Tanya told him.

                "Then that's where we should be." Wildwing said, reloading a few pucks into his launcher. "You two go on, I'll catch up." Tanya and Kay stared reluctantly, before running off into the trees again. Wildwing paused for a moment before following, gingerly.

 

To be continued.......