The Wildcard

Part Two: Roaring Gundam Strikes! Chibodee’s Curious Challenger

Written by Zelda

 

                The suit’s speed was surprising, that was the first thing he thought. With four feet on the ground, it had better leverage. Chibodee stood at the bow of the fishing boat, staying quiet as he watched the clamor erupting around him. Zebra Gundam had brought out its spear as a weapon, holding it and its shield before it as the Roaring Gundam snapped and paced. Both of the fighters seemed to be just testing each other, scouting out their options. Finally, Zebra Gundam shoved off of the platform, stabbing quickly with its spear for the Roaring Gundam’s neck. Chibodee breathed in surprise as the dragon’s Gundam dodged it, using the leverage advantage again. With a loud roar, it sprung off of the platform, using its wings to power it up into the air instead of any rocket equipment. Usually, wings were just for show, but on this Gundam they were actually functional! The wind from them blew harshly against the Zebra Gundam, but it quickly leapt up after its opponent. That, apparently, was the move that the Roaring Gundam had expected all along. It curled itself into a ball and flipped forward, bringing its tail smashing down into the Zebra Gundam’s shoulder.

                “Smart move!” George’s voice barely registered above the crowd.

                The two Gundams landed back in the ring, as Roaring Gundam pulled its blades from the deep gash in Zebra Gundam’s right shoulder. The dragon suit barreled in for another attack, when Neo-Kenya’s Gundam suddenly switched its spear into its good hand, and thrust it deep into the left hind leg of the Roaring Gundam. The scream from the metal and the pilot were both twisted into one, and it was a sound that made Chibodee inwardly flinch. What was it about the noise that had done that to him? He’d seen tons of matches before like this. Another jab from the Zebra Gundam saw the spear lance straight through Roaring Gundam’s neck, the whole appendage sparking and twisting in malfunction.

                “That’s a direct hit folks!” the announcer trilled. “If Roaring Gundam’s head is destroyed from this one blow, the match is over!”

                The Roaring Gundam replied with a defiant animal cry, twisting its neck as if its pilot were forcing it, through great pain.

                Chibodee flinched again, this time from something different. There was something wrong with his right hand, something that was making it ache. He pulled up his sleeve and looked at it, to see the beginnings of his crest showing through on the back. The Queen of Spades. Why would his shuffle crest be acting up now?

                In the ring, the Roaring Gundam had jerked suddenly to the side, yanking the spear in its neck out of the hand of the Zebra Gundam. The staff smashed against the left side of the neck, creating a deep dent, frighteningly close to the cockpit. The dragon suit backed away slowly, keeping its head low, its damaged parts sparking. In response to having its arm pulled so violently, smoke appeared from the Zebra Gundam’s hand joints.

                “It’s down to desperate times, fans…” the announcer continued. “With both Gundams now heavily damaged, it’s hard to tell who will come out as the victor!”

                “My money’s on Neo-Kenya.” Sai smiled. “That animal can barely move!”

                “Hold on…” Domon shook his head. “It’s keeping still for a reason, I think it’s gathering up strength for a special attack…”

                Domon’s hunch proved to be correct. The dragon suit struck a dynamic pose, hissing and flaring its wings at the Zebra Gundam.

                “You wish to test my limits?” the dragon hissed, her voice now coming in over the ring’s loudspeaker system. “Then listen well…” The gold blades of the suit started to glow with energy, the Gundam’s eyes burned blue as its neck curved back. “Starscream!!!” the pilot commanded, and the head shot forward and let out a horrible, high-pitched noise. Instantly, fans around the ring clapped their hands over their ears. The five members of the Shuffle Alliance were forced to do the same as the noise only grew louder.

                “What on earth is she doing?!” Chibodee snarled, not wanting to close his eyes.

                “Look!” Argo yelled. “Look at Zebra Gundam!”

                Neo-Kenya’s proud Gundam now had smoke pouring from several joints. Although only one arm was functional, it was clear to the observers that the pilot inside had his hands over his ears, desperately trying to block out the sound.

                “It’s the sound!” George started, amazed. “She’s using special frequencies to disrupt the Zebra Gundam’s system commands!”

                “So the Gundam must be paralyzed!” Domon concluded.

                Roaring Gundam’s attack ran its course and ceased, but while Zebra Gundam was struggling to get its functions back in order, the dragon suit leapt in for a final blow. It thrust a set of claws right through its opponent’s face, finishing it off. Zebra Gundam collapsed in a heap on the end of the platform.

                “Unbelievable folks!” the announcer cheered. “It looks like Roaring Gundam has taken the win!”

                As the crowd reacted loudly, the five Shuffle members shook the ringing out of their ears.

                “Now there’s a unique attack, if I’ve ever seen one.” Domon ran a hand through his hair. He suddenly stopped, gritting his teeth, as his hand started to burn, like it was on fire! He pulled it back to look at it, and saw that his King of Hearts shuffle crest was burning brightly. A quick glance to the rest of the Alliance found them reacting in just the same way.

                “What’s up with our crests?” Chibodee asked. “They aren’t supposed to glow like this unless---“

                “Unless the Dark Gundam is nearby…” Domon hissed. “Do any of you see it?”

                “Not here Bro.” Sai Saici stood on his tiptoes to look around. “But look over there!” The Neo-Chinese child pointed to the fighting platform, where Roaring Gundam’s pilot had not yet emerged from its cockpit. It appeared as if the Gundam were malfunctioning again, either that or its pilot was in pain. The Gundam staggered to the opposite edge of the ring, and slipped into the water, disappearing.

                “This is very strange indeed.” Argo shook his head. “Look, our crests are fading…”

                “Gentlemen…” George started. “Do you think the Dark Gundam could be connected somehow to Roaring Gundam’s pilot?”

                “It would make sense.” Domon mused.  “Nobody really knew anything about her before she entered the tournament. None of the Gundams she defeated made it here…”

                “I don’t like this.” Chibodee grumbled. “I think we ought to go after her.”

                “I agree.” Domon nodded. “If Chibodee has to face down a fighter who’s infected with DG cells, who knows what might happen. As members of the Shuffle Alliance, it’s our duty to investigate the Dark Gundam wherever we find it. Do you guys agree? None of you have any matches tomorrow, do you?”

                “No, not for several days, actually.” Argo shook his head.

                “Argo…” Nastasha spoke up for the first time since the fight had begun. “You should return with me to our embassy.”

                “I have a duty to see to, Nastasha.” Argo argued gruffly. “I will return tonight.”

                His guard frowned, and flicked back her hair. “Do as you wish.” she grumbled. Domon tossed a rope ladder down to Argo, and as soon as he climbed on, Nastasha took the boat and left the scene.

                “Do you think we should take our Gundams?” George asked, still down in his boat.

                Domon thought for a moment. “Yes. We can’t take any chances with the Dark Gundam lurking around.”

 

                From the cockpit of the Dragon Gundam, Sai Saici yawned. “This is hopeless Bro. We’ve looked all over, and the only place left are these dumb woods!” Five Gundams flitted over a small stretch of woodland that existed near the very edge of Neo-Hong Kong’s  bay. “We’re never gonna find her, we should give up.”

                “What’sa matter Sai?” A view window popped up to the Neo-Chinese fighter, revealing Chibodee’s sneering face. “Gonna miss your bedtime?”

                “Very funny.” Sai pouted. “I’m hungry, that’s what.”

                “Let’s just check over this area. Our crests have been glowing ever since we got here. You all know what that means.” Domon’s view window cut in. “A Gundam’s not exactly an easy thing to hide…”

                “Everyone, over here!” George called. The Gundam Rose hovered over a clearing in the trees, from which a few thin trails of smoke wisped up into the night. The other four Gundams approached, looking the area over. The wrecked heap of the dragon’s Gundam was piled at the edge of the clearing.

                “Alright, so there’s the Roaring Gundam, but where’s the pilot?” Chibodee asked.

                “She’s there, lying right next to it…” George pointed. “… And she’s not moving.”

                The five Gundams landed quickly in the clearing, their cockpits opening as the five pilots hopped out. Their crests were nearly burning by now, and warily they all waited until they were grouped together, before approaching the fallen Roaring Gundam. Close proximity to the Mobile Suit showed just how much damage it had taken. And the pilot itself, the dragon, lay in the grass on her side. The creature wore a very strange suit for a fighter. Instead of being covered in typical cockpit wear, her body was wrapped in a bare neural net, circuit clusters clinging to her skin, some still sparking in malfunction. Her arm was curled loosely around her chest, and blood washed her flank.

                “That dent next to her cockpit…” Domon muttered. “It must have injured her.”

                “How could she have triggered a special attack with a wound like that?” Argo wondered aloud.

                Slowly, the dragon stirred. She raised her head with a grunt, cracking her eyes open in the direction of the noise. She nearly leapt up as she spotted the five fighters approaching, startled. With a loud snarl, she crouched low on the ground.

                “It’s alright.” Domon called. “We saw your fight earlier today, we only want to know if you’re hurt.”

                “Well it’s obvious that she is.” Chibodee rolled his eyes. “It’s okay Zelda, remember me from the meeting today?”

                The dragon hissed loudly, then turned and staggered backwards, scrambling up the trunk of a tree and hiding in the shadows on a thick bough.

                “Great.” Sai shook his head. “Why didn’t we bring a leash?”

                The five fighters circled beneath where the dragon held perch, watching. They couldn’t see the animal, save for her glowing blue eyes. After a few moments, blood started dripping down, first onto the tree limb and then to the ground. The crests of the Alliance were still burning brightly.

                “I don’t get it, why doesn’t she come down?” Domon muttered.

                “Look there.” Chibodee whispered, pointing upwards. Something on the dragon’s body had begun to glow red, its light revealing her body as she shakily stood in the tree. “What’s that light? Do you think those are DG cells that have begun to heal her?”

                “It could be.” Domon narrowed his eyes.

                The light revealed that the dragon was losing her steadiness, as if she was in added pain. With a low grunt, she tipped to the side and lost her grip, falling from the tree.

                It was Argo who caught her, as gently as he could manage despite the fact that he was unwilling to touch someone that could be infected with DG cells. But the silver cells couldn’t be seen anywhere on the dragon’s body, at least not now.

                “Is she okay?” Sai screwed up an eye at the dragon, as the Alliance closed ranks around her.

                “I think that she may have passed out…” Argo frowned. The dragon hung limply in his arms. “We should get her medical help.”

                “I agree.” Domon nodded. “I’ll take her back to Rain, she’ll look after her.”

                Argo handed the bleeding animal over to the Neo-Japansese fighter, as the other Alliance members departed for their own Gundams.

 

                Her head pounded mercilessly, like someone was crushing her skull with every pulse of her blood. Zelda cracked her eyes open and struggled to clear her vision. She was not outdoors, not in the grass where she had collapsed before… The ground was rocking beneath her, and there was a strong smell of fish. Something warm was around her right wrist, moving gently. And, from somewhere, she heard a voice. The dragon struggled to make the words out. It was a girl, she was speaking…

                “Symptoms associated with blood loss. No sign of DG cells or physical damage inflicted beyond that estimated of yesterday’s match…”

                The dragon snapped violently awake, snorting gruffly. The warmth, in the form of a woman’s hand, pulled back with a startled jerk. Zelda did not recognize her surroundings at all. She hissed at the woman and struggled to stand, when a wave of pain raced through her body. She had no choice as her muscles failed, but to collapse back.

                “Please, don’t move!” the woman protested.

                Zelda snarled weakly. She may not have been able to stand, but even with her diminutive size she could still rip the stranger apart.

                “It’s alright, please, you’re safe now.” The protests continued in a gentle voice.

                The purple dragon was forced to comply, her own body unwilling to obey her jumping nerves. “Who… who are you?” she gasped, astounded by the weakness in her voice.

                “Please lie back.” the woman gestured. “My name is Rain Mikamura, I’m a doctor. You’ve been in my care for the night. Please, if you don’t lie still, your stitches will rip---”

                “What happened—to me—where is my Gundam?!”

                “It’s in the woods where you left it…” Rain started to explain. “Nobody’s touched it, I promise.”

                “Rain?” There was suddenly another voice outside, a male one this time. “Rain, what’s going on?” Domon appeared in the doorway, his cape swishing in the morning light.

                “It’s alright Domon, she woke up, I think she’s just scared.” Rain stood, backing away from the huffing animal.

                “Calm down Zelda, you’ve got no reason to be afraid.” Domon started. “I’m Domon Kasshu, the fighter from Neo-Japan.

                The dragon flattened her ears in suspicion. “I don’t understand. The last thing I remember, I was up in a tree. How did I get back here?”

                “I… and a few friends of mine…” Domon admitted. “We saw the damage you took in the fight yesterday. We followed you just to make sure you were alright.”

                “Did you?” Zelda sniffed and eyed him, her gaze still holding some of its former power. “Since when does the Shuffle Alliance take such a concern to unknown pilots?”

                “So you know about that.” Domon nodded. “Alright then, I’ll tell you the whole truth.” He walked into the room and sat back against some storage crates. “But not until the others get here.”

                “The others are coming Domon?” Rain asked, looking down at him.

                “Yes, they didn’t have anything to do today, so they agreed to it. Did you find anything?”

                “No, not really.”

                “Find what?” Zelda narrowed her eyes. “What’s going on here?”

                “Please try to relax.” Rain turned to her. “Are you hungry or thirsty?”

                “No…” the dragon started, eyes darting between them both. “I’m alright, thank you…”

                “Okay then, Domon I’ll be right back.” Rain nodded, and left the room.

                The two fighters didn’t move for several moments, just staring one another down. It was the dragon who broke gaze first, shifting weakly back against the blankets that she was laying in, on the floor. Domon stared past her, out of a porthole on the wall nearby. Quite a bit of time passed, as the circle of sun shining through the window moved along the floor. By the time Domon looked back at the animal, it had fallen asleep in the blankets. Domon blinked, slightly surprised. But the creature did look exhausted. She wouldn’t be going anywhere for a while. He stretched, stood quietly, and walked back outside onto the ship’s deck. As he walked to the bow, he heard the familiar humming noise of a core lander.

 

                She awoke to voices, again, more this time. And they were outside the door. Six voices. They far outnumbered her, and she still wasn’t sure if she could stand up…

                “Ahh, she’s awake.” the female noted, peeking her head in.

                Zelda flattened her ears in response, secretly tensing her protesting muscles.

                “Good.” The male voice from before responded.

                The dragon’s right hand clenched tightly. If she needed to, she had to find a way out of here. The female human stepped into the room first, and put a hand out reassuringly.

                “It’s alright Zelda, please, you still need your rest.” she spoke, smiling a little.

                “Rain’s right, it’s just the group of us from last night. The others were worried about you, and wanted to check in on you.” Domon added, looking in over her shoulder.

                Zelda mustered up her strength into a steady gaze as each member of the Shuffle Alliance entered the boat’s sheltered room, peering back at her with a silent curiosity.

                “Wow, up already, you look a heck of a lot better than you did last night.” Sai Saici commented.

                “Manners, Sai.” George shook his head as he folded his arms.

                Zelda’s eyes narrowed as they caught those of the Neo-American pilot. “Crocket.” she growled. “What are you doing here, Neo-American? Shouldn’t you be training for our match?”

                “Heh, you’re welcome, Zelda.” Chibodee rolled his eyes.

                “Chibodee is a part of the Shuffle Alliance.” Domon spoke up. “He helped you out last night, as much as the rest of us did.”

                Weakening in resolve, the dragon’s gaze wilted downwards and she sighed. “Forgive me. I’m just… not used to being around humans anymore, I suppose. I owe you all my thanks, especially you two of Neo-Japan.”

                “It’s no problem.” Rain smiled.

                “Still.” Zelda looked up again. “From what I’ve heard of you, it’s unlike any of you to be shadowing an unassociated fighter. Why do you want to keep me here? What is it you want from me?”

                “We want to know.” Argo spoke up. “If you’re associated with the Dark Gundam. Plain and simple.”

                Zelda twitched an eyebrow in surprise. “I’ve never seen it before in my life, only heard of it.”

                George furrowed his brows. “Never? Rain, did you find anything when you examined her?”

                “No George.” she shook her head to the Neo-French fighter. “There was no evidence of DG cells at all.”

                “DG cells?” Zelda frowned.

                “Look, it’s more than you need to know, if what you say is true.” Chibodee retorted to the dragon.

                “You’re questioning me?” Zelda growled. “Why would I lie to you? You all did me a favor, and I’m grateful. Now you’re giving me the third degree?”

                “We apologize… Miss…” George faltered a little, having a little trouble in calling the animal by such a formal term. “But we thought we had some suspicious evidence. For example, how you were able to attack with a special move even after taking heavy damage.”

                “I’m strong.” Zelda replied firmly. “Chibodee will find that out for himself in a few days’ time.”

                “And…” George continued. “The fact that we had a… signal, that the Dark Gundam was in the area during the time of your fight, and when we went to the woodlands to find you.”

                “Don’t forget that thing where her arm was glowing.” Sai added. “Up in that tree? Too weird!”

                Zelda defensively balled her right fist again.

                Several pairs of eyes shifted to the limb, noticing nothing out of the ordinary, save for some very deep scars that ran ragged across the back of her hand. Rain knelt down to take a closer look.

                “Dear me…” she said. “Those look like some horrible wounds that you got. They’re not that old either…”

                Zelda nodded a little, not exactly moving to let Rain see them any better. “I don’t scar easily. I suppose this wound was a different story.” she shrugged.

                The Alliance members looked to each other with empty glances. Was this just another dead end in the hunt for the Dark Gundam? It certainly seemed that way.

                Argo let out a sigh. “Well, it is good to see that you’re well, Zelda. I do hope, for Chibodee’s sake, that you’ll give him a good match. He wouldn’t be happy with anything less.”

                “I do believe I owe it to him now.” the dragon cracked a small smile to the Neo-American.

                With nods, waves, and some well-wishings, the five members of the Shuffle Alliance exited the room, and walked back out onto the boat. The members parted and went their separate ways, save for Domon, who stayed on the boat, and Chibodee, who decided to linger for a moment longer, looking at the sun as it rose higher in the sky.

                “Something on your mind, Queen of Spades?” Domon asked, a teasing note in his voice. All of the Alliance members knew how much he disliked the feminine tone of that title.

                Chibodee answered by souring one corner of his mouth. “I’m not sure, really. I still don’t like this situation. There’s more to this, I think.”

                “I don’t know what more there is to look into. Rain didn’t find any trace of the Dark Gundam on her.”

                “I’m tellin’ ya Domon, the crests don’t lie.” Chibodee shrugged. “And when we were watching her fight? They haven’t burned like that since the Guyana Highlands, when we were fighting the Dark Gundam face-to-face.”

                “I know…” Domon started. “But it could be a coincidence. Even though Zelda was there, she probably doesn’t have anything to do with it. Wrong place, wrong time, you know?”

                “Yeah… you’re probably right.” Chibodee sighed. “Who am I to get worked up over anything, hm?”

                “That’s the spirit.” Domon smirked. “I’ll see you later, go train hard.”

                “You can bet on that.” the Neo-American waved, then vaulted over the railing and to the solid ground of the dock beneath.

                Domon stretched slightly and removed his cloak, deciding that he could use some exercise himself.

 

                “Whoa… what is it?” Hoi sprang through the door.

                “It’s cute!” Min cheered. “Can we keep it?”

                “Kids, wait!” Rain held her hands out to grab them, but it was too late. The two children scrambled to the side of the animal as she lay in the blankets. At first, the dragon was startled by the children, but Rain breathed a sigh of relief as a smile broke out on the dragon’s toothy lips.

                “Well well.” she muttered. “You have children aboard. I thought I smelled young ones…”

                “It talks!” Hoi exclaimed. “Too cool!”

                “Where’d ya find it Rain?” Min turned back to the woman in the doorway.

                It is called Zelda, children, and Zelda has been badly injured in a Gundam fight match. She needs her rest, so you can’t play with her now.”

                “You’re a pilot?” Hoi asked the dragon. “But you’re an animal, I’ve never heard of an animal piloting a Gundam!”

                “Well, I bet you haven’t heard of any animals that can talk either.” Zelda smirked. “But the world is broad, child.”

                “You look so cool! Look at those wings! And the scales!” Min cooed. “You’re such a pretty purple color. I bet you really fight well too.”

                Zelda couldn’t help but chuckle. “Children.” she rolled her eyes to Rain.

                “I didn’t know you liked kids.” Rain started. This was the first time that a stranger had entered the room, and the dragon hadn’t felt threatened by them.

                “Back at home, it was my job to teach the young ones how to fly.” she sighed in reply. “It’s been such a long time since I’ve seen any of them. But I suppose some things never change, no matter what species you are.” The children clamored to pet her like some domesticated housepet, and Zelda laughed at the attempt, stretching a wing out to cover the heads of the children, and send them clamoring off blindly until they bumped into each other.

                “You are so cool!” Min celebrated. “Are you staying with us?”

                Zelda grunted as she was elbowed inadvertently by Hoi, but she never lost her smile. “Only until I can stand up. Then, I must leave. I’m a Gundam Fighter who needs to get back to her suit.”

                “Aww… but you can’t leave without dinner first!” Min announced. “Grandpa caught some nice fish today, do you want one?”

                “Actually, I think fish would really hit the spot.” the dragon admitted, glancing up to Rain with slight embarrassment in her eyes.

                “We’ll get it!” Hoi insisted, and the two children scrambled off.

                Rain chuckled. “I’ll be right back, just going to make sure they don’t sink the boat in the process!” She walked out of another door, and watched from a distance as the children rummaged through the boat’s small kitchen. The dragon was definitely an odd creature, but her reaction to the children had been the first time that Rain had seen any warmth from her. Nothing like that could come from someone under the full sway of DG cells.

                “I got one!” Hoi announced, racing past Rain with Min and a good-sized fish in tow. “Dinner is served!” Rain chuckled again, and proceeded into the kitchen. It was time for her to get some food as well. She, however, was in no mood for sushi.

 

                He turned the corner on the balls of his feet, not losing a step as he shifted the towel around the back of his neck. A morning jog was always the start of his daily routine, and he was nearly at the end of his route, down where the bay docks began. He wasn’t anywhere near Neo-Japan’s boat, that was further into the more crowded end of the docks. Up here, it was all old warehouses and empty ports. Except that today, he heard loud banging noises coming from near the water. Curious, Chibodee stopped, jogging in place as he listened. Yes, it was definitely a metallic sound, as if someone were running a blacksmith’s stand by the bayside. But nobody would be doing that around here. Letting his curiosity get the better of him, the Neo-American broke his pace and walked closer to the water, peeking around the corner of an abandoned warehouse. What met him was the shining red frame of the Roaring Gundam, sprawled rather messily out on the wooden dock. The banging came from somewhere behind one of the Gundam’s limbs. Chibodee leaned in closer to see, when the noise stopped. There was a brush of wind from overhead, and the boxer was startled as he looked behind him to see Zelda land, striking a fighting pose.

                “Spying on me, Neo-American?” She questioned with dagger eyes, although her tone contained amusement.

                “Not at all!” Chibodee put his hands up defensively. “I come through here all the time, jogging. Just wondered what all the noise was.”

                “What do you think?” Zelda asked. “I have to get my Gundam repaired if we’re going to fight in a few days.”

                “You… you’re fixing your Gundam by yourself?” Chibodee asked. “Where’s your crew?”

                “Don’t have one.” Zelda shrugged, looking out over the bay. “Just me alone out here.”

                “You’ve been on your own this whole time that the Gundam fights have been going on? That’s a whole year.” Chibodee marveled. “Don’t you think having a crew would have served you better?”

                “Probably.” Zelda nodded. “But that’s not how we work. My kind needs to stay at home. I alone had to make this journey. They helped me assemble the Roaring Gundam, now it’s my responsibility to maintain it.”

                “I’m… afraid I don’t understand.” The Neo-American frowned.

                Zelda sighed and paced around him, revealing a large, fresh scar across her flank. “If you want to know, I’ll tell you the whole story about why I’m here, and why I told your President and Mr. Wong that I didn’t care about the title. I don’t hold any grudge against you, Crocket. You seem like a good person, and inwardly I hate having to fight in matches like this. But I don’t have any other choice.”

                Chibodee watched as she perched on her Gundam’s damaged leg, and began fiddling with wires. “No other choice?” he repeated.

                “None at all. Your government refused to listen to us for too long.” she sighed. “But I’m getting ahead of myself. Let me begin at the beginning…”

 

To be continued…